The National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network
Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
2013 NNIN REU Program Application
sponsored by the National Science Foundation, NNIN and Industry
Please go to http://www.nnin.org/research-experience-undergraduates
for the complete information on the 2013 NNIN REU Program
Restrictions and Eligibility Requirements for NNIN REU Interns:
First and foremost, you must be an undergraduate student attending a two-year or four-year accredited college, having completed at least your freshman year before participating in our program (you may be a freshman when you apply). High school students and recent high school graduates are not eligible (also, see #5 below).
1] If you participated in a NNUN or NNIN Program in the past, you cannot participate again,
2] You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States,
3] You must be 18 years of age or older,
4] You must have health insurance coverage for the summer,
5] You must not be graduating before the end of the program in August, and
6] You must not already have a four-year degree of any kind.
7] You must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
(See more details below...)
Thank you for your interest in the 2013 National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network Research Experience for Undergraduates (NNIN REU) Program. First! Please read the program information found at http://www.nnin.org/nnin_2013reu.html That site will answer many questions you might have regarding our program. Then! Please read the following application instructions carefully and be sure to submit your complete application materials before the final deadline.
We look forward to receiving your application.
2013 NNIN REU PROGRAM APPLICATION & AWARD SUMMARY|
NOTE: There are THREE deadlines for our application
YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY
Wednesday, February 13th, 2013. 8 PM Eastern, 5 PM Pacific.
ONLINE RECOMMENDATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS, FINAL DEADLINE!
Wednesday, February 20th, 2013. 8 PM Eastern, 5 PM Pacific.
No matter how they are submitted,
all app materials must be received by
Thursday, February 21st, 2013.
OUR AWARD PROCESS BEGINS:
Monday, March 11th, 2013 (via email)
Your completed application includes:
1. The online account and application information.
2. A Personal Essay. Your personal essay is critical to our selection process. It is through your words that we ascertain your 'fit' with our program. Please submit a well-written essay, 1-2 pages long, in which you discuss the relationship between your present studies and a career in engineering or scientific research. As preparation, you may wish to discuss your career interests with one or more professors, and include any insights you gain from these discussions, and any other sources, which explain how this program might help you prepare for your future. Be sure to discuss any research field you are most interested in. If you do not believe your grades reflect your potential, please explain them in this essay.
3. A One-Page Resume. This resume should focus on your scientific achievements and activities. Note any honors and awards that you have received that are relevant, as well as any prior research experience.
4. ONE Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member who knows you well and can comment with authority on your research potential. OR, if you can identify a person better qualified to evaluate your abilities, i.e., a graduate student TA, a co-op adviser or industry mentor, etc, please feel free to have that person write your recommendation. When you fill out your online application, you will enter the name and email address for your recommender. They then upload their recommendation online, following the instructions within the email they will receive from NNIN REU Admissions.
5. Your Relevant Engineering and Scientific (etc) Coursework, including your grades and the number of credits yourreceived for each course.
6. If you are a citizen of another country AND a Permanent Resident of the USA, you must submit a copy of your Green Card (both sides). (If you are a citizen of another country and you ARE NOT a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible for our program! Sorry!)
PLEASE NOTE: If and when you accept an NNIN REU internship offer, you will be required to submit an official transcript to us, before your official award letter can be sent to you. Your internship award is contingent on your declared coursework matching the coursework in your transcript, so the sooner we receive the document, the sooner your internship will be secured!
APPLICATION RESTRICTION DETAILS
Our restrictions are self-explanatory, but here are a few specifics:
- All NNIN REU Interns must be undergraduate students who have completed at least their freshman year in college: An undergraduate student is a student who is enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree. Students who are transferring from one college or university to another and are enrolled at neither institution during the intervening summer may participate. Students who are taking college courses as part of an honors high school program are NOT eligible.
- You are NOT eligible to participate if you have already received a 4-year baccalaureate degree of any kind or will receive your 4-year degree before the end of the program in August 2013. (If you are graduating before August 2013, we encourage you to look at the National Science Foundation web site, nsf.gov, to see what they have to offer in the way of internships and fellowships for recent graduates.)
- Applicants have an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better. This is your cumulative GPA, not your semester GPA. If you are a first-year student and do not yet have a GPA, please apply and enter "0.0" for your GPA.
- PLEASE read these advices and FAQs first: http://www.nnin.org/nnin_reuadvices.html
- You should receive at least two automatic emails when you apply online, and you will also receive personal emails from the NNIN REU Program Assistant (REU PA) when your application arrives, and when it is complete. If you do not receive the auto-emails or do not hear from the REU PA, something is wrong!! Email us to figure out what that something is.
- If the online application won't work for you, email your complete street address to the REU PA and she will mail you a paper copy.
NNIN REU SITE INFORMATION
During the application process, you will be asked to list your top five preferred sites. After you have read the following site descriptions, checked out the past REU reports, and noted the program dates below, we trust you will have the information necessary to choose those five.
- Find information on the NNIN sites at http://www.nnin.org/nnin_sitedescriptions.html or http://www.nnin.org/
- Due to the nature of our program (fourteen sites and over 150 faculty and mentors), it is not possible to tell you what projects will be hosted in 2013. However, if you read past reports from our interns (http://www.nnin.org/nnin_reu.html), you will get a feel for the types of research performed at each site.
- Students attending an NNIN site will not be hired to work at that site. So Cornell students cannot intern at Cornell, for instance.
The 2013 NNIN REU Convocation will be held at the Georgia Institute of Technology, Sunday, August 11-14, 2013. Participation in this event is mandatory and in addition to the program dates below.
|Institution and Location||Program Dates||# of Interns|
| Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ||June 3-August 10 + Convo|
| Cornell University, Ithaca, NY||June 4-August 10 + Convo||
| Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|| June 4-August 10 + Convo||
| Howard University, Washington, DC||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA||May 29-August 2 + Convo||
| Stanford University, Stanford, CA||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| University of California, Santa Barbara, CA || June 4-August 10 + Convo||
| University of Colorado, Boulder, CO||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| The University of Texas, Austin, TX||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| University of Washington, Seattle, WA||June 17-August 15 (includes Convo)|
| Washington University, St. Louis, MO||June 3-August 10 + Convo||
| || TOTAL # of INTERNS||85|
Good luck and again, thank you for your interest in our program.
"If we knew what we were doing,we wouldn't call it research." Albert Einstein