Apply to the NNIN REU
Research Experience for Undergraduates
(NNIN REU) Program
Please go to http://www.nnin.org/reu for the complete information on the 2015 NNIN REU Program
Restrictions and Eligibility Requirements for NNIN REU Interns:
First and foremost, you must be an undergraduate student attending a two-year or four-year accredited college, having completed at least your freshman year before participating in our program (you may be a freshman when you apply). High school students and recent high school graduates are not eligible (also, see #5 below).
2] You must be a U.S.A. Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States,
3] You must be 18 years of age or older by May 31st,
4] You must have valid health insurance coverage for the summer,
5] You must not be graduating before the end of the program in August, and
6] You must not already have a four-year degree of any kind.
7] You must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
(See more details below...)
We especially encourage applications from underrepresented minorities or ethnicities, women, and students from small colleges or students with no prior research experience!
Thank you for your interest in the 2015 National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network Research Experience for Undergraduates (NNIN REU) Program. First! Please read the program information found at http://www.nnin.org/reu. That site will answer many questions you might have regarding our program. Then! Please read the following application instructions carefully and be sure to submit your complete application materials before the final deadline. Finally, many questions are answered on our Advices & FAQs page.
Ms. Melanie-Claire Mallison
Your completed application includes:
2. A Personal Essay. Your personal essay is critical to our selection process. It is through your words that we ascertain your 'fit' with our program. Please submit a well-written essay, 1-2 pages long, in which you discuss the relationship between your present studies and a career in engineering or scientific research. As preparation, you may wish to discuss your career interests with one or more professors, and include any insights you gain from these discussions, and any other sources, which explain how this program might help you prepare for your future. Be sure to discuss any research field you are most interested in. If you do not believe your grades reflect your potential, please explain them in this essay.
3. A One-Page Resume. This resume should focus on your scientific achievements and activities. Note any honors and awards that you have received that are relevant, as well as any prior research experience.
4. ONE Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member who knows you well and can comment with authority on your research potential. OR, if you can identify a person better qualified to evaluate your abilities, i.e., a graduate student TA, a co-op adviser or industry mentor, etc., please feel free to have that person write your recommendation. When you fill out your online application, you will enter the name and email address for your recommender. They then upload their recommendation online, following the instructions within the email they will receive from us. Please let your intended recommender know BEFORE you apply that they will be receiving an auto-email from us (especially if they have a gmail address!).
5. Your Relevant Engineering and Scientific (etc.) Coursework, including your grades and the number of credits you received for each course.
6. If you are a citizen of another country AND a Permanent Resident of the USA, you must submit a copy of your Green Card (both sides). (If you are a citizen of another country and you ARE NOT a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible for our program! Sorry!)
PLEASE NOTE: If and when you accept an NNIN REU internship offer, you will be required to submit an official transcript to us, before your official award letter can be sent to you. Your internship award is contingent on your declared coursework matching the coursework in your transcript, so the sooner we receive the document, the sooner your internship will be secured!
APPLICATION RESTRICTIONS, DETAILS
Our restrictions are self-explanatory, but here are a few specifics:
NNIN REU SITE INFORMATION
During the application process, you will be asked to list your top five preferred sites. After you have read the following site descriptions, checked out the past REU reports, and noted the program dates below, we trust you will have the information necessary to choose those five. ONE APPLICATION FOR ALL ELEVEN SITES!
Good luck! And again, thank you for your interest in our program.
"If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn't call it research." Albert Einstein
your online application must be submitted by wednesday, february 11, 2015. 5 pm pacific / 8 pm eastern
your recommender has until february 18, 2015 (5 pm pacific / 8 pm eastern) to upload your recommendation letter
all application components must be received by the final deadline of thursday, february 19, 2015
Your complete application includes: your account and application forms (including relevant coursework), your essay and one-page resume, and one required recommendation.